Who wants one?

Lots of people ask whether they can buy a bike like my Xtravois. I explain that they can buy a regular Xtracycle conversion kit or complete bike for similar utility, but as for a purpose-built frame, the answer has been “no.” But I may now have identified a suitable builder in Portland. I’m offering to apply my experience with Xtravois and my proximity to Joseph as sort of a design coordinator to produce a small batch of very similar frames/forks or possibly built-up bikes. That is, if you want one.

I won’t profit from this, except to the extent that they might inspire the purchase of specially adapted Stokemonkey kits. I’m in this for the glory of the bikes. Joseph’s prices and terms would be his. Let me know if you’re interested.

14 thoughts on “Who wants one?”

• Mauricio Babilonia
    Mauricio Babilonia July 20, 2005 at 1:35 pm

Uhhhh, I’ll e-mail you about this too, but that would be a “yes” and thank you.

• Jim

When you figure out the price, let us know.

• Lance P.

I am interested, but my interest is definately price dependent…

I sure might be, depending on price. Keep me posted. Thanks!

• Mac Stricklen
    Mac Stricklen July 20, 2005 at 9:48 pm

I’d buy one now if the price was right (and they were available). I’d scrimp and save for a while if the price was going to be just a little more than right. . .

Todd, It might be helpful for you to outline the advantages of the Xtravois approach vs. using an Xtracycle and MTB frame.

• Jake Down

Depending on price, I would be interested as well.

Hi folks. I’m confident that the cost won’t be less than $1K for a frame and fork. As I said in email to some of you, “I don’t regard custom longbikes as cost-effective improvements upon what can be achieved functionally with well-chosen production frames and Xtracycle conversion kits, except in extreme use cases. The justification has to be largely aesthetic in nature. I think normal Xtracycles are a brilliant solution to a difficult retrofit problem, but with enough money (e.g., foregone car ownership costs) ) it isn’t a problem in need of solving.” I expect that most interested parties will already own a regular Xtracycle, so don’t need any selling on the general goodness of the concept: they just can’t get enough of it.

I’m going to poke around this here blog software and see how to set up a non-public area for interested parties. I’d rather not go into details of design or (Joseph’s) costs and terms publicly.

• Michael

I am interested.
    I’m presuming it would accept all the usual xtracycle racks and stuff?

Thanks!

• Jonathan Maus

Glad to hear you’ve connected with Joseph Ahearne. I’ve gotten to know him over the past few weeks and I’m sure he’ll be a good match for your project.

• P. Mason

I am interested. I would buy one today if it was available.

• Gordon

I’m interested. Please email me with details. I’m here in PDX.

• Clifford Smith
    Clifford Smith April 5, 2006 at 3:14 pm

I’d buy one today, also

cliffordu

• [...] Of course, both our designs derive from Ross Evans’ original Xtracycle concept. And Xtracycle is now half out of the closet with a complete longtail frame project of their own, due to be in ridable prototype stage by winter. Other, similar efforts are rumored (don’t ask). It’s these rumors and non-rumors that have taken the wind out of my earlier tentative offer to produce more Xtravoix. [...]