Insta-bent

If I had a “stupid bike tricks” category, this would fit. Two minutes with a hex key turns probably most Xtracycles into recumbents, sort of. Below is my Xtravois thus messed with. It helps to have swept bars and a long stem. Just think what ten minutes, a lawn chair, and some baling wire could do. I made a movie, too (~600k AVI).

instabent

instabent

7 thoughts on “Insta-bent”

• Me

Todd-

Beautiful!! Great movie too… my daughter (5.5 years old) just watched too and remarked, “Wow, he sure looks comfy on that bicycle! I would never go to sleep if I had a bike that fancy!!”.

-Me

• George

I like it.

Is that an assist motor mounted on the seat tube?

How much weight can you carry on that and do you use a trailer in addition to the panniers?

Nice work :-)

george: yes, an assist – early stokemonkey prototype. i’ve gotten 480lbs up a 31.5% block. i use a trailer in addition.

• Martina

You need an old salat bowl as a helmet and some nylon chaps to complete the picture ; )!

• Me

Todd-

How is speed controlled that’s coming from the motor… ‘only’ via the brakes? Sorry if the question was answered elsewhere… can’t find it.

-Me

largefella, there’s a variable-speed throttle on the bars. but in practice you pretty much run it at full throttle when you want help. the motor drives the pedals at a speed you can keep up with (adding your own power, tandem-style). you modulate it more by varying the load through shifting than by letting up on the throttle. the most general overview yet written of how it works is in the stokemonkey mailing list archives: http://lists.cleverchimp.com/pipermail/stokemonkey-list-cleverchimp.com/2005/000001.html

the reason you didn’t find this information more easily is that i’m not talking it up too much before i have a production inventory on hand, and can actually ship them. there’s nothing more agonizing for me these days than fielding “how do i get one?” queries, and all i can say is “wait, please!”

• George

I wish I was rich, I’d give you some funding to get you on your feet.

That is such a good idea, I don’t see how it can fail.

480 lbs? That is incredible!