No wires, no batteries, no dark

These look like some nifty lights. There’s a UK distributor. Maybe Jim should import them for his practical bike startup. What would be really great is to fit them with capacitors for steady-on/standlight use [they have a steady-blink model now -- ed], and scale them up as necessary to serve as effective headlights. I had been noodling about this very possibility after looking at Sheldon’s headlight bracket.

11 thoughts on “No wires, no batteries, no dark”

• George

Hey, if you guys decide to import them-put me down for 2 sets plus 2 extra sets of magnets:-)

PS-Somebody oughta sell’em-they look pretty darn cool.

Hmm… nice idea and nice execution, BUT, seems to me they wouldn’t work with Xtracycle’s bags in place and , may not work with suspension forks with large tubes.

My DC-DC 26 to 12V converter uses 2W when idle and my 12V tail strobe tail lights uses 4W in use.

• Jim

I’ll have them soon. Just ordered a case of 50 light sets.

• Mauricio Babilonia
    Mauricio Babilonia December 22, 2005 at 8:23 am

Jim, I posted this in an Oil is for Sissies comment too, but I’d like to try a set. Are you in the Twin Cities? I’m in Madison. Are you coming to the Swap here on the 14th of January?

• Jim

Now that you mention it, I’m thinking about it. Do you have any info on where and when, etc?

• Mauricio Babilonia
    Mauricio Babilonia December 23, 2005 at 1:30 am

Here’s their official schtick:

15th Annual Cronometro Bike Swap
    January 14, 2006, 9:30am-4:00pm. Alliant Energy Center, Madison (Wisconsin)
    Buy and sell bicycles, parts, clothing and more. Shoppers $5, Seller’s table $45 ($60 after January 1st)
    www.cronometro.com/swap

Sorry if it’s not appropriate to post it here, but I don’t have Jim’s contact info. OTOH, I’ve gotten parts for the Xtra there, and it also tends to be a darn good regional cycloculture event for that time of year…

I’ve got these lights on a Brompton now: /blog/ronb/

• [...] are Reelights, which we wrote about long ago. They are no-battery blinkies, sold as a set, front and rear. Full-on generator lighting is the [...]

• Scott in Seattle
    Scott in Seattle January 16, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I tried putting a Reelight on a P6 this evening. Thanks to Todd's excellent pictures, everything went fine up to the point where I tried to fold the handlebar. It turns out that the left gearshift cable (the cable that goes to the derailleur) hits the light and prevents clicking the handlebar into the catch. If I tilt the light bracket far enough down to clear the cable, it's pointing down at about a 30-degree angle from horizontal.

It's remotely possible that this problem wouldn't occur with a P3, which I'm speculating wouldn't have a left gearshift cable, though I haven't seen a P3. However, as I try to visualize what would happen if that cable weren't in the way, I'm pretty certain that the left bar end would hit the light next, and still before the handlebar catch would fully seat.

• Todd (admin)

Hm Scott. I've tried on all manner of M- and S-types, but among P-types only with a 3. You might just be absolutely right.... Can't you move the left shifter to clear, even if you need to trim some grip material? Sorry if I misled you!

• Scott in Seattle
    Scott in Seattle January 17, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Your pictures clearly show an M-type, and even before I bought the Reelight, I'd wondered whether I'd have trouble with the P-type handlebar. The cool factor of a batteryless light was too much to resist, though.

I hadn't considered the possibility of moving the left shifter/brake lever. A little experimenting showed that the cable would clear if I were to move the shifter 1-1/4" to 1-1/2". I think I'll just double up the magnets on the rear wheel to give myself some extra power and to help compensate for the skewing of the magnets that you note is necessary so they'll clear the chainstays. I'm more concerned about the drivers behind me than the ones in front, anyway. ;-)

Many thanks for the pictures and commentary. They were much more useful than the Reelight documentation for installation on a Brompton.