Best bike rack

Velorution found via Rad-Spannerei this fantastic bike rack by Inout Design: bikerack
It get bikes off the sidewalk and helps deny drivers the promise of on-demand stowage for multi-ton conveyances, making a quiet statement about equitable allocation of public space.

10 thoughts on “Best bike rack”

• Jonathan Maus

Beautiful. We need these in Portland.

And San Francisco. No, wait a minute… they’d probably be flattened within 24 hours by angry SUV owners!

nitty-gritty: these things look light enough for a couple strong people to put into the back of a truck, bikes and all. they’d need anchoring. and some kind of paint-threatening ward-off bars to keep the bikes from getting clipped. the anchoring would need to be lock/unlockable to facilitate street cleaning i think (another layer of coordination required). or just clean around them?

the pictured one is a modest car profile. maybe have some hummer/navigator/escalade/yukon profile ones too, with high-mounted wheel hooks for more space efficient bike parking.

• Martina

I think it might be safer to have the car on the other side — towards the street. That way the bike wouldn’t be clipped…
    … and yes we need a hummer-size one!

• Bartosz

I agree, that it should be the size of a hummer.
    Only then, all the motorist would complain that it takes too much space!

I can see it now: a discrete green and white sign across the top:

HUMMER ALTERNATIVE PARKING AREA
    BICYCLES ONLY

• Jess Austin

For an academic take, some have recommended The_High_Cost_of_Free_Parking, by Donald C. Shoup. I haven’t read it yet – the $60 on amazon has given me pause, so I’m probably going to check a local library some time in the next couple of weeks.

• Jill

Cool design, but it looks like it’s just begging to be taken out in a fit of rage by a driver
    who can’t find a parking spot.

Jill, that’s why they would mount surveillance cameras on top, one on either end pointed back across the bicycles. NSA would track those drivers down!

• Shawn

I want one of these for my driveway. That would be awesome.