Longtail spotting at NAHBS

I attended the North American Handmade Bicycle Show in San Jose nearly two weeks ago. I went because I’d heard there would be a number of longtails being shown, and also a bike integrating Stokemonkey. Actually I thought there might be more than one of the latter at the time I bought my tickets, but maybe next year, when NAHBS comes to Portland. Better late than never I hope, here’s my report.

10 thoughts on “Longtail spotting at NAHBS”

Now THERE's a motormount!

• vj

No kidding!

Any date on store opening? When can I see a citybike, and how much are they going to run?

• todd

vj, we will be in our space at 1516 SE 9th Avenue and conducting business in the month of may. we'll hold off on a "grand opening" until the dust settles and our inventory becomes reasonably well-rounded.

you can see, and ride, 3 models of city bike right now, by appointment; call 503.889.0452. lovely day for a spin huh? alas, we won't sell you these particular bikes; they're demo/testers. we have a bunch to sell on order, due to arrive later this spring.

pricing varies by model and options, but is in the $1K-1.5K range.

• vj

Thanks, Todd!

• Bruce Alan Wilson
    Bruce Alan Wilson March 18, 2007 at 6:42 am

I wish we had something like this here! There is only one bike shop here in Charleston, and while they are good people, they emphasize sports/recreation biking, rather than transportational cycling. They are also kind of 'high end.' There is nothing here between department stores and high end bike shops.

• hans von Clemm
    hans von Clemm May 5, 2007 at 10:14 am

i think that extracycles are great. We have two and they are really good. If you put an el;ectric motor on them they are even better. I just wish that more people would ride bikes around.

• Bruce Alan Wilson
    Bruce Alan Wilson May 8, 2007 at 2:04 am

One reason that there is so little transportational cycling around here is that West Virginia is not called The Mountain State for no reason. There are parts of Charleston that are difficult, if not impossible, to access by bicycle if one is not in tip-top physical condition and on a very high end machine.

Bruce, that's why Todd sells electric assist.

• Martina

Bruce, when Todd got the idea for Stokemonkey we lived in San Francisco, and Charleston can't be worse (hill-wise) than SF.

• William Safranek
    William Safranek May 10, 2007 at 12:24 am

Martina is right about most of Charleston being about the same as SF but some of the area just outside of Charleston is worse. However, an electric assist like the Stokemonkey is perfect because it allows you to take advantage of gearing also. I love Charleston for the hills. It limits some of the sprawl.