Growing

Our address has changed. We haven’t moved: we’ve grown. Drop by this evening between 5 and 7-ish for beer and a bite to eat as we formally switch our main entrance from SE 9th Avenue around the corner to the much more visible 908 Hawthorne storefront.

We opened in June with a shop facing 9th Avenue in the Red Men Hall (on the right in the picture). We had negotiated a right-of-first-refusal on other units in the building that might open up, expecting that perhaps in a few years we would want to expand. Well, less than a month later we got our chance. The only other unit in the building that we could connect directly to our present one was becoming available, and it faced bike-busy Hawthorne (on the left in the picture). We leapt. We’ve been beavering away on the expansion ever since.

The extra space lets us expand our product lines to soft goods and more bikes, while retaining the airy, kid-friendly feel of the space. Look for stylish, functional clothing and soon the entire Basil collection. It’s been a real stretch but we know it’s the right thing. Everybody knows that Winter is the peak buying season for bicycles with chaincases, mudflaps, and generator lighting, right? And wool knickers! We’re ready. Are you?

Jonathan scooped this, of course. There are pictures.

15 thoughts on “Growing”

• Jeff and Pam

Hoo-rayy!! Looks great! Wish you phenomenal success-in all things. No guts, no glory!

• AllanF

I'm amazed it took this long for anyone to break outside the existing bike shop paradigm. I am not surprised it took a couple really smart guys who had no previous bike shop experience to do it first. A shop of this nature in a town like Portland is so obvious it beggars belief no one's done it before.

Now here's the funny-to-me part, Shimano's big "Coasting" push had a whole lot of market research with all the obvious results coming out of it. What Shimano should have done was set-up a sister company to retail Euro-style/lifestyle bikes and gear in major biking markets in the US. But hey, that's too far a stretch, so instead they'll "re-train" existing independent retailers on how to sell bikes to regular people. Gee, anyone want to bet how well that's going to work?

For those interested, United's in-flight mag had a very good article on Shimano and their market research. As for me I'd love to see the raw report. Make for some hilarious reading in the 'scientist report bears crap in the woods' genre, I'm sure.

• Bruce Wilson

Congradulations!

I love the Bicyclefixation wool knickers; I just wish that they came in more colors than black. I'd like to get a pair of the hemp, but they don't make them in my size. (I take a 42" waist, and the hemps don't come in anything bigger than a 38"; what they have against fat guys, I don't know.)

• Alex Wetmore

Congrats on the new space Todd. I was excited to see the additional space in progress when I visited in September and look forward to seeing the whole thing when I revisit in November for the Oregon BCA show.

• Michael Kohne

AllanF:
    I'd also love to see that Shimano report - I agree that it's conclusions seem to be pretty obvious to us, but real, honest, good market research is actually about telling you the things you should know, that you are missing. Sounds like this was one of those times for Shimano. I'd actually say that Shimano got good value for their research dollar. Whether they can do something useful with the results is a whole different question. The Coaster thing sounded like an interesting idea, but some of the companies they showed it to didn't sound like they got it.

I think I see why they didn't try to spin off a company - they don't want to be a competitor to their customers (the bike companies). That wouldn't make them as much money as it might lose them.

As to re-training existing retailers: Well, that will only work if they get the retailers to hire some non-spandex wearing normal folk. You know, people that that don't make jokes about me being a big spender when I all I buy is a patch kit and a tube (happened once at the local Performance).

I suspect the rising gas prices will get more and more folks onto bikes, and the presence of a market for people wanting usable bikes WILL force the retailers to change. But it may take a while...

• Michael Kohne

Congratulations on the expansion, I'm glad to hear you are doing well. Any updates on the newer Stoke Monkeys? I'm thinking of buying a Big Dummy when it comes out, and I'll probably want to get a Monkey for it at some point.

I work at home, and I'm doing what I can to reduce use of the car (I'm doing about half the shopping by bike right now), and having a Monkey would increase my range (and confidence) quite a bit.

Thanks!

• Bernhard Spalteholz

Hi, I too am planning on buying a Big Dummy when it come out and would also be interested in the availability of a stokemonkey kit to fit it. Thanks!

Way to go, Todd and company! Today Hawthorne St, tomorrow the world! Who knew the juggernaut would ride in a wooden box?

• Todd (admin)

Michael (and others), see comments to http://clevercycles.com/blog/?p=188 for Stokemonkey status. You can "subscribe to comments" if you want to be notified of status updates.

• derek

How long do you estimate before you have a selection of Basil panniers?

• Todd (admin)

Derek, the Basil shipment is now in the US en route to us. It should therefore be available sometime between 1 day and 6 months from now, barring acts of god.

We intend to sell the stuff online. We chose a promising but very green point-of-sale/inventory management software product whose web store module really isn't ready for prime time, but we persist in trying to push it into service. Let's hope we'll have enough bugs worked out near the time the Basil stuff is ready to move.

• Andy B from Jersey
    Andy B from Jersey November 5, 2007 at 12:48 pm

I love how the Google Maps "Street View" image of your location shows a bunch of Baks, Dutchbikes and an Extracycle parked outside. Old location on SE 9th but cool none the less. Take some pictures of the new store front and put them up!

Andy B

• derek

Sounds good Todd- will you make an announcement here when they come in? My wife's temporary solution is nice, but doesn't hold much :)

• derek

Oops, I just redid my site and the link above is no longer accurate, sorry!

• [...] since we expanded from our original location at 1516 SE 9th to our Hawthorne storefront, the layout of our shop has [...]