Low point

Portland has now approved a plan aiming to bring bicycle trips up to 25% of all trips in town by 2030. Science fiction date huh? Remember 1990? Some habitual drivers assert that this is simply unrealistic in a wet city with quite a few normal people, as if most of Portland wasn’t in fact developed, more or less to its current form, without cars in mind. Another cold, wet city developed without cars is of course Amsterdam, whose low point of bicycle usage dipped below 25% of all trips about 5 years after this clip was filmed in 1965, showing “bicyclists” as anything but a subculture. (Mayor Adams is in 0.22-0.26). Today 40-something percent of trips in Amsterdam are by bike. By 2030, I think, we’ll break 40% by a mile.

And a decade before that (notice oil tanker at 2:42):

Hope you’re enjoying these “intermission” clips, shamelessly scavenged from sources you maybe follow already, during our ongoing remodel. Also, we’re getting reports that these videos interfere with the function of the menus in our top bar above, apparently only in a certain operating system we don’t have access to. If you’re using Microsoft products, does it not work for you?

13 thoughts on “Low point”

• Dave

I think it was Michelle Poyourow who was saying, we probably already have 25% of people (or even more) in Portland proper riding bicycles for some/all of their trips, just not enough to make up 25% of all trips. I honestly think the 25% of all trips may even happen quicker than we expect.

Regarding the menus, it looks like, in Windows7, Firefox displays the menus in front of the video, IE8 and Chrome both display the menu behind the video, if the menu is long enough to overlap. Results seem to be the same with IE7 and Firefox on WindowsXP - IE7 displays the menu behind the video, Firefox displays it in front of the video.

• Nick

It looks like you might want to fiddle with the wmode parameter in the HTML for the youtube clips. More info here: http://www.communitymx.com/content/article.cfm?cid=e5141

The long and short of it is, try adding inside the tag, and add wmode="transparent" to the embed tag.

Of course, you have to do this every time you paste some youtube html into a page, which is kind of ridiculous, but having to use Flash to play videos is kind of ridiculous too. One day, maybe, we can all move on to the HTML5 tag.

• Nick

Oops, my HTML got stripped out. What I meant was that LTparam name="wmode" value="transparent"GT should be put inside the object tag, where LT is a less than symbol, and GT is a greater than symbol.

• Todd (admin)

Hi Nick - I added your parameter. Thanks for the tip, and thanks in advance for confirmation that it helps.

• Nick

Interestingly enough, the menus are still underneath the videos for me, running Chrome on Linux. I'll just continue shaking my fist at Flash in general.

• Nick

Ah, I seem to have figured it out.

1. Your param tags got screwed up somehow. I think the unclosed param tag I gave as an example somehow got mangled by Wordpress and ended up encapsulating the embed tag.

2. The wmode="transparent" thing wasn't added to the embed tag.

Once I added both of those, the menu works properly for me. Here is an image containing highlighted differences of what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/TOEkU.png

• Nick

The param tag looks better but wmode="transparent" is still missing from the embed tag.

• Todd (admin)

Sorry to be slow on the uptake, Nick. Got it now. Surprised that the paleolithic "embed" element isn't completely ignored by modern browsers when given merely as a fallback within object.

The other issue of constant spontaneous reloading appears to affect only not-current versions of Firefox. We have a workaround coming, but keeping browsers up-to-date is also a good plan.

• Max

Well, back to the topic of bike riding percentages, I bite my lip constantly to not say "We should move to Portl..." Here in metropolitan DC we have some bizarre things going on, like Northern Virginia lawmakers declaring that bicycles are not even transportation. With this they then flatly decline to change the minimum passing distance from 2 ft to 3 ft. Maybe there should be some sort of "Lawmaker Swap", like those "wife swap" shows.

Enjoy the ride,

Max

• Emma J

@ Max - "Not transportation"? What?

• Max

Quite bizarre, isn't it? I would like to believe that it was some sort of bad joke, or something you would see in the Onion, but alas, it is real. Here is a link to "the Washcycle" blog's account of it:

Max

• Anne Hawley

That Sam Adams lookalike at :20 in the first video is kind of freaky!