LED dynamo headlamps brighter and less draggy than halogen

You can get a complete dynamo wheel plus bright headlamp that never needs batteries or bulbs for about $150 these days. A wired taillight only a bit more…. Though these systems are all nominally 3W, the older halogen types produce palpably more drag than the newer, brighter, longer-lasting LED types.

9 thoughts on “LED dynamo headlamps brighter and less draggy than halogen”

• Peter

Hey, cool! Ask and you shall receive... Thanks for the informative video Todd! Looks like if you have the choice an LED headlight is the way to go.

• Andy

Cool demo rig!

• Jason Repko (Austin)
    Jason Repko (Austin) December 15, 2010 at 4:38 am

Hi Todd,

Where can I get a complete 26" wheel with dynamo and headlight for around $150 ??

• Todd (admin)

Why, from us of course! Currently our generator lighting section includes a $99 dyno wheel and a quite good $54 LED headlight. We have halogen headlights cheaper.

• Tyler

Speaking to the Brompton Shimano hub dynamo kit... Is there a direct replacement that you can recommend for the halogen bulb? preferably a LED?

• Todd (admin)

I cannot recommend a non-halogen replacement for the bulb itself, but any of several replacement headlights will work. I use and love my Cyo; the new Lyt is only $54 and quite a bit better than the halogen light it would replace. On the high end the Schmidt Edelux offers jewel-like build quality, though I'm not convinced it works any better than Cyo.

I have read about LED replacement bulbs for halogen. The trouble is that high intensity LEDs need a way to shed heat that the physical design of an incandescent lamp doesn't accommodate. Thus the LED incandescent bulb replacements suffer a short life for a given brightness level. Furthermore the optics of incandescent lamps are not suited to the directional characteristics of most LEDs. I welcome correction.

• Tyler

Todd- I'm liking the Cyo but will this work in conjunction with the Brompton rear LED standlight that I'm currently running?

• Tyler

Thanks Todd. Just placed my order :)